“Let love be without hypocrisy. Abhor what is evil; cling to what is good. Be devoted to one another in brotherly love; give preference to one another in honor; not lagging behind in diligence, fervent in spirit, serving the Lord; rejoicing in hope, persevering in tribulation, devoted to prayer, contributing to the needs of the saints, practicing hospitality. Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse. Rejoice with those who rejoice, and weep with those who weep. Be of the same mind toward one another; do not be haughty in mind, but associate with the lowly. Do not be wise in your own estimation. Never pay back evil for evil to anyone. Respect what is right in the sight of all men. If possible, so far as it depends on you, be at peace with all men. Never take your own revenge, beloved, but leave room for the wrath of God, for it is written, “V ENGEANCE IS M INE, I WILL REPAY,” says the Lord. “B UT IF YOUR ENEMY IS HUNGRY, FEED HIM, AND IF HE IS THIRSTY, GIVE HIM A DRINK; FOR IN SO DOING YOU WILL HEAP BURNING COALS ON HIS HEAD.” Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.”Romans 12:9-21 NASB
There is a lot of evil in the world. We are never going to fight evil because the world tried to say it does not exist. They say there are people who do bad things. Evil is a force against God and until we recognize this fact we cannot combat it.
Once we recognize it we must abhor it. This means we are to regard it with hatred. Why would we be told this? It is because evil is against God’s will. We must cling to what is from God because that is what is good.
There are several ways listed to cling to what is good:
1. Be devoted to one another in brotherly love. When we love someone with brotherly love we are devoted to them. We love them like our own brother. We would do anything for them. Imagine if everyone loved their neighbor this way. We would not have evil because no one would have evil thoughts against their neighbor.
2. Honor one another. Hold each other up in high respect. Think of everyone as having something of value to add to society.
3. Be fervent in spirit. Be passionate in your spirit. Be passionate about loving others. Be passionate about loving God.
4. Serve the lord. Serve God in all you do. Do everything thing for His glory.
5. Rejoice in hope. Rejoice that there is a force that can and has overcome evil. No matter what happens God is in control. This fact a lone should give you more hope than anything else.
6. Persevere in tribulations. When we face evil tribulations we can persevere because He that lives inside of us. This is where our strength comes from.
7. Devoted to prayer. Be consistent in prayer. One thing you should pray for is those that persecute you. Pray that they will have a change of heart and come to know Jesus. Pray that you will be strong in the face of evil and not lose hope.
8. Bless those who persecute you. This had to be hard. It is not natural to be nice to someone who wants to harm you. Maybe it is natural and we have been looking at it wrong. If we love everyone like our brother we will want to bless them.
9. Rejoice with those that rejoice. When our brother is rejoicing be happy with them. Do not be jealous of their happiness.
10. Weep with those that weep. When our brother is sad we must offer our condolences. We must be sad for them and with them.
11. Never repay evil with evil. Remember what I said bless those that persecute you. Do not ever do harm to them because of what they have done. This is an evil act itself as it goes against the will of God.
12. Be at peace with all men. When we are at peace with all men there is less evil.
These are the things we must do to combat evil. These things have the power to change people’s hearts. Evil is rooted in a person’s heart. It is who they are. Show God’s love to them and leave it up to the Holy Spirit. If they do not change from evil God will deal with them.
It is time for the church to stand up and combat evil. We do this by spreading the word of God and sharing His love.